Friday, June 4, 2010

Something's Gotta Give!

I have a health update for y'all.  When I was pregnant I suffered from extreme hip pain, more so than the average pregnant woman, because of my extra weight.  Most overweight people become that way over the course of a lifetime, but some, like myself who gained due to medication, put on a lot of weight in a short period of time.  I gained about 70lbs in the course of 2 years.  As you can imagine this was a major shock for my joints.  Carrying around the extra weight of a baby was no help in that matter. 

Secondly I developed gestational diabetes.  Although this is not dependent on weight since it is the pregnancy hormone suppressing insulin production, it is seen more in overweight and obese mothers to be.  I only had to live a diabetic life for half a year, but let me tell you, YOU DO NOT want that life! Finally I ended up with pre-eclampsia which caused my very life to be in danger.  After a blood pressure reading of 180/95 I was admitted to the hospital and induced 5 weeks early.  My son was born healthy and full sized, thank the Lord, but I was not as lucky.  My blood pressure tanked, and had my husband not caught it, I would have died during labor.  I ended up with a c-section after my body couldn't handle the stress any longer and stopped responding.

I recovered from the delivery and things were looking pretty good.  I began losing weight, a lot of weight!  In fact, 2 weeks postpartum I had lost 40lbs in water weight alone!  It had turned out that I only gain about 15lbs of fat during my pregnancy once you subtracted my son's weight and the water weight.  I have since lost that 15lbs and am right at my pre-pregnancy size.  Unfortunately, that size is still obese.

I was so excited!  I had lost all that weight without cutting out sweets or exercising.  I was simply carrying my, rather heavy, son around everywhere.  Then one night I was rushed to the ER.  I was having pain in my chest and between my shoulder blades that rivaled that of my two days of un-medicated labor.  They diagnosed me as having gas and sent me on my happy way.  A few nights later it happened again.  This time I was writhing on the bathroom floor screaming out in pain.  Having been practically laughed out of the hospital I toughed it out.  I saw my Dr and we theorized that it might be my gallbladder.  A normal American diet (high fat/grease) plus a recent pregnancy would seem to indicate it.  The big tip off was that it seemed tomatoes were the culprit to my pain.  She said if the pain returned I must go to the ER because my gallbladder could be infected and burst similar to appendicitis.  Sure enough, after eating chicken fried rice one night the pain returned with a vengeance.  We called an ambulance, I went to the ER, and this time the Dr ran some tests.  Sure enough, my liver enzymes were elevated.  Since I am not a drinker, my gallbladder is likely at fault.  I will likely have it removed within the next month.

What does all that mean?  It means that at the age of 25, having only been overweight for about 5 years, my body is already suffering great consequence for my food choices and lack of exercise.  It means that if I continue on this path, I will die.  It is time for a change!  It is time to start eating right and exercising!  What clearer message could God have sent me than excruciating pain?  Would I continue to eat pizza and fried food if I didn't hurt every time but still knew what it was doing to my body?  Sadly, yes.  So this is my wake up call.  Get healthy or die early.  It is that simple, right here in black and white.
blog comments powered by Disqus